If you have an interest in joining Freemasonry, you have already taken your first step in the right direction. Freemasonry can be such a diverse interest and has the potential for a life-long affair that ‘gives back’ continually.
The beauty of how Freemasonry works is you only need to commit what you want to or can, in time and effort. Tasks and roles are never forced upon you, Freemasonry will never ask you to place family, work or important interests ahead of what you want to get out of Freemasonry and how you can help Freemasonry in return.
Finding a Lodge to join is normally about location and meeting the existing members to help give you that understanding of who, where and when as lodges meet on different days, different locations, and with different goals or aims.
Temple Island Lodge is a vibrant and healthy lodge with a vast spectrum of members, young and old from all walks of life, who will all offer you the warmest of welcomes. Although the lodge has six official meetings a year, we have many optional social events -such as barbecues, dinners at the Phyllis Court Club, cinema meets, curry nights to just a few beers in the pub,
General information about Freemasonry is available here on the United Grand Lodge of England or here on the Provincial Grand Lodge of Oxfordshire website. You can also download a pdf to download the booklet “Becoming a Temple Island Mason”.
If you are interested in joining Freemasonry, Temple Island Lodge would love to help you start that journey.
We have a saying of “Ask one to be one” or “To be one, ask one”. This actually translates to the fact that a Freemason will traditionally never ask you to join, but will happily talk about the many great aspects of Freemasonry leaving it up to you to make that first step.
If you have a connection to Henley on Thames and are genuinely interested in joining Freemasonry, you should, to avoid any embarrassment later, make yourself aware of the membership requirements below. Of course, if you already know any Freemasons then they too should be able to advise you.
Anyone offering himself as a candidate should be 18 years old or older, of good repute, and should be entirely assured in his own mind:
- that he sincerely seeks intellectual and moral improvement for himself and others.
- that he has a belief in a supreme being (God as you understand him or her).
- that he is able to afford the necessary expenditure without detriment to himself or his connections.
- that he has the financial ability to pay lodge subscriptions and contribute to charity, without having an adverse impact on his family (there are one-off initiation/associated fees of £75; additionally Temple Island’s membership fees are £165 per year).
- that he is willing and able to devote part of his time, his means and his efforts, to the promotion of the aims of our ancient Institution.
- that he is willing to make a commitment to attend Lodge meetings, rehearsals, socials and events.
- that he will never seek commercial, social or pecuniary advantage from his membership.
If you would like to continue with your interest in joining Temple Island Lodge then please click here to send us a message with your details.